As usualy Hardy sticks to the depressing mood of a poem. I enjoy this poem as it gives me a very stong feel of what the narrator is feeling. I think that the poem is about someone who's lover has left them alone in life, whether death is the reason they have dissapeared or simply as they have left by choice is unknown but I personally think that it is by choice they are gone.
I think this because the narrator seems to have a very bitter energy towards the departed one. If they had died they surely would not blame them for their departure They are not only upset that their lover has left them but even more so because they cannot carry on with life as they continue to believe that they see their lovers face in various places and can't believe that some one they held so dear to them would hurt them so bad. This is proven when they say 'why do you make me leave the house and think for a breath that it is you I see?' and 'not even I - would undo me so!' If someone is feeling undone it is almost as if they have lost themselves because they have come 'undone' and if they leave and constanly thinks that they see their love they must have been truly infatuated which can only meen that the heart ache would hurt that much more.
I think that Hardy has written the poem this way on purpose so that we feel very sympathetic for the character. The person who left may be unaware how strongly the narrator felt for them but it is clear to us how storngly it was. If any one that has read this poem has gone through a similar situation then they will definately be able to sympathise and even if you havn't it is evident, judging by the narrators response, how painfull and upsetting it would be. These are some good examples as to why I not only enjoy this poem but why I think it delivers such a strong emotional impact
Thursday, January 29, 2009
The Going
Posted by Lawz M at 7:25 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Can you pick out one or two lines that really show the emotional impact? You've been making good comments on these poems.
Cool post, its also one of my favorite poems by him and i do feel the connection to the narrator like you mentioned.
P.S. storngly lol
Post a Comment