One of the many things I like about 'The Curious Incident' is how we as the reader get to experience Christophers journey with him and therefore get to see and understand more clearly how a person with his condition reacts and behaves in certain situations.
I personally have never met anyone with Asperger's Syndrome so I find it very interesting to read. For example, when Christopher is waiting on the platform to head to London various incidents happen that I find fairly amusing. Such as, when a man approaches Chris asking him if he is lost, Christopher retaliates by withdrawing a swiss army knife from his pocket. Obviously, if a person not suffering from Asperger's was confronted with this situation they would not react this way but Christopher does not understand that what he is doing it wrong and interpret's the way the man responds, by holding his hands up and retreating in fear, as him offering a gesture of love 'just as mother and father did'. I like how Mark Haddon uses pathos in these situations, I find it amusing yet sad at the same time because Chris doesnt understand things easily so I inevitably feel sorry for him.
There is another part of the story were Chris is placed in a similair situation on page 200. He is on the train but needs to 'wee' however Christopher isn't aware that there are toilets on a train and accidently 'leaked a bit and wet my trousers'. Again this is using pathos as although it is humorous, like when he talks about 'poo', I feel sympathetic because it would be embarasing to wet yourself in public. I find it interesting to read about because Christopher seems unfased by the whole ordeal.
Monday, March 2, 2009
My Opinions On The Curious Incident
Posted by Lawz M at 3:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i agree about everything you've said. haddon uses pathos a lot and very cleverly and we all feel both sorry for him and cannot help but laugh at the situations he gets himself in at the same time :)
I agree with you about what you said about Haddon using pathos. I too find it interesting to read about because it's not really something I've cosidered in the past but reading about it now is a bit of an eye opener. Also the experiences you've mentioned are realllyyyy good examples of pathos (:
The situation with the poo, i found utterly hillarious, just the way he describes it in so much detail its just one non-stop laugh, yeahh i sympathise with him too, because it must be slightly embarrassing.
Nice work :]
Post a Comment