There are many different tragic events in act three of Hamlet. One of these moments is when Hamlet and Ophelia finally meet face to face when they are apparently alone in the hall.
This is a tragic moment as it is really the end of their relationship. Not only does Ophelia lie to Hamlet when he ask's her 'where is your father?' but she is working the whole 'operation' in her fathers favour. She is helping to try and prove that Hamlet is mad.
I think that Hamlet is aware that Polonius and the king are around and this is why he ask's Ophelia were they are, almost as if he is testing her. Once she answer's with 'he is in his room my Lord' Hamlet knows she has betrayed him and seems to be stung by this; this may be why he gets fairly hysterical soon after yelling at her to 'fetch thee to a nunnary'. I think that the readers are meant to feel sorry for Hamlet and Ophelia, one reason: because Hamlet is feeling betrayed by the woman that he loves most because she is helping the man that he hates most. Equally, I feel sympathetic for Ophelia as she has lost the man she loves to 'madness' and she is also unable to do anything about it. Her life his not her own to control.
Another point of this act that I find most tragic once again on Hamlet and Ophelia's part is the death of Polonius. I think that this is tragic as Polonius was not intentionally killed. Hamlet has slain the wrong person and will now have to suffer the consequence. Now that Hamlet has killed some one he is no longer able to decided not to go through with the revenge plot, he has gone past the point of no return. I think that this may be why the ghost also makes an appearance at this point, almost as if to reasure Hamlet that everything will be O.K and that he hasn't done anything wrong by taking Polonius's life.
This part of the act is also tragic for Ophelia for obvious reason's. It is not only her farther that has been murdered but it was by non other than the man that she loved. I feel that this is a very important key facter to the later point of Ophelias death. I think that Shakespeare added this part almost as if it is just an opening to show the audience that something greater and more malevolent is going to happen.
This is a tragic moment as it is really the end of their relationship. Not only does Ophelia lie to Hamlet when he ask's her 'where is your father?' but she is working the whole 'operation' in her fathers favour. She is helping to try and prove that Hamlet is mad.
I think that Hamlet is aware that Polonius and the king are around and this is why he ask's Ophelia were they are, almost as if he is testing her. Once she answer's with 'he is in his room my Lord' Hamlet knows she has betrayed him and seems to be stung by this; this may be why he gets fairly hysterical soon after yelling at her to 'fetch thee to a nunnary'. I think that the readers are meant to feel sorry for Hamlet and Ophelia, one reason: because Hamlet is feeling betrayed by the woman that he loves most because she is helping the man that he hates most. Equally, I feel sympathetic for Ophelia as she has lost the man she loves to 'madness' and she is also unable to do anything about it. Her life his not her own to control.
Another point of this act that I find most tragic once again on Hamlet and Ophelia's part is the death of Polonius. I think that this is tragic as Polonius was not intentionally killed. Hamlet has slain the wrong person and will now have to suffer the consequence. Now that Hamlet has killed some one he is no longer able to decided not to go through with the revenge plot, he has gone past the point of no return. I think that this may be why the ghost also makes an appearance at this point, almost as if to reasure Hamlet that everything will be O.K and that he hasn't done anything wrong by taking Polonius's life.
This part of the act is also tragic for Ophelia for obvious reason's. It is not only her farther that has been murdered but it was by non other than the man that she loved. I feel that this is a very important key facter to the later point of Ophelias death. I think that Shakespeare added this part almost as if it is just an opening to show the audience that something greater and more malevolent is going to happen.

0 comments:
Post a Comment