After watching the final scene of Ophelia in Hamlet, the scene with her tragic death, I have come to the conclusion that one main purpose of Ophelia's character is simply to add more 'love' tragedy to the play. All though there is much tradegy already through out the play I think that Ophelia's is one of the greatest out of them all.
People may disagree and opinions may vary, but I personally don't think that Ophelia is an extremely important character to the plot. As she is not an Extremely important character, although that is not saying that she has no relevance, it is almost as if her purpose in the play is simply for her tragic love loss and death. This may be why the scene in general has quite an extreme impact on the viewer.
I felt very sorry for Ophelia during the play as she never really had a chance to decide her own path in life. It seemed to me as though her father, Polonius, wanted to control her every move, especially when it concerned Hamlet. Although she loved Hamlet madly, she was forced to not only ignore his letters but to help her father and the king eeves drop on him. She has no control over this or what happens to Hamlet. He is taken away to England when she is seemingly unaware and then previously to have not known that her love murdered her father. It is no surprise to me that after all her turmoil she mentally takes a turn for the worse.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
My opinion on Ophelia
Posted by Lawz M at 7:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I tend to agree. Surely we have to feel sorry for O. Isn't her awful experience to show us the effect of what the men are doing on everyone else, particularly the two women? We can criticise Gertrude but is O entirely innocent? Good comments.
Post a Comment