We have been reading 'The Great Gatsby' in class and this is what I think of the story so far, my review for chapter 1.
So far I am quite interested in the story. I like to read alot, naturaly, and this novel is the sort of book I quite like to read. When we began chapter 1, we were introduced to the narrator of the story Nick. Nick seems to be a light hearted, sarcastic kind of guy as he if often making jokes or rather sarcastic remarks about what the other characters say to him.
For example, when his cousin Daisy tells Nick that he 'reminds her of a rose' he retorts 'This was untrue. I am not even faintly like a rose'. The audience are aware that, obviously, Nick is not like a rose but it adds blunt humour to his character and gives us an idea of what his personality is like.
Other characters, such as Daisy, Tom and Miss Baker are also well percieved. Daisy seems to be fairly 'ditsy', '"What'll we plan?" she turned to me helplessly: "What do people plan?"' Tom appears to be a bit of a shovanistic pig who loves himself. For example he didn'nt approve of Daisy calling him 'hulking' because it's not a very attractive word so he doesn't want to be assotiated with it.
Finally, Miss Baker seems to be quite a pesimistic, nonchalant character, almost as if she if bored with everything in her life because she has everything '"We ought to plan something" Yawned Miss Baker, sitting down at the table as if she were getting into bed'. This makes it sound as if she just lazily mopes around the place all of the time.
I think the setting in the novel is also described very well. F.Scott Fitzgerald really goes into detail about the surroundings. For instance, the area surrounding Nick, once he sits outside has 'wings beating in the trees and a persistant organ sound as the full belows of earth blew the frogs full of life.' This places a very piecefull image in the readers head to show how cool, calm and empty the area is.
So far, I think that one of the main themes for the novel is more than likely going to be love, however I'm not entirely sure as we havn't properly got to meet Gastby yet. As his name is in the title, I think the main plot will obviously revolve around him. I think, judging by the blurb and what I have read so far, it will be about him overcoming many obsticals in his life and in himself in order to be with the person he loves; or rather in order to get them to love him. I feel Nick will play an important part in helping him and also helping his cousin Daisy sort out her relationship with her husband Tom.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
The Great Gatsby chapter 1
Posted by Lawz M at 6:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Good comments. I like the way you make references to the text. Remember to cover as many of the Reading Journal headings as you can. An encouraging start.
Post a Comment